Realtime Gaming Online Casino Software
Among the various software providers currently powering the world’s major online casino platforms, Realtime Gaming (RTG) has emerged as an industry leader during the last decade.
As the driving force behind the gameplay and graphics found on dozens of online casino brands, Realtime Gaming Online Casinos are known for creating a fast-paced, cleanly presented experience. Online casinos using the Realtime Gaming software suite offer generous bonuses and a full slate of games, including slot machines, video poker, table games, hybrid table games, bingo, keno for cash, and even lottery style games like scratch cards.
This page is an introduction to Realtime Casino Game software. You’ll find a brief history of the company’s founding and development, including important information about licensing and regulation. We also include an overview of the software setup, a rundown of the games menu, and a list of online casinos utilizing Realtime Gaming.
Realtime Gaming was founded in 1998 by venture capitalist and tech entrepreneur Daniel Schultz.
Based in Atlanta, Georgia during the company’s initial launch phase, Realtime Gaming was eventually sold off by Schultz, with Curacao-based Hastings International acquiring a majority interest in the firm in 2007.
Under the ownership of Hastings International, Realtime Gaming’s operational headquarters were moved to Heredia, Costa Rica in 2007. Both Curacao and Costa Rica have become havens for online gaming entities, providing licensure and regulation along with tax benefits.
Realtime Gaming is recognized by both the Interactive Gaming, Gambling, and Betting Association (IGGBA) and the Interactive Gaming Council as a legitimate actor within the industry. Even though each Realtime Gaming Online Casino has the ability to customize pay tables and other crucial factors regarding gameplay, the company relies upon Technical Systems Testing (TST), an internationally accredited testing group, to conduct regular audits of its randomization engines and probabilities. You can learn more about the company’s history on Wikipedia.
The company’s slogan is “Take Gaming Seriously,” and players around the world have come to realize that Realtime Gaming lives up to that motto by powering perhaps the industry’s most expansive slot machine menu and continually updating software suites to integrate modern features like Live Dealer Casino Games.
Realtime Gaming Online Casinos
Although you can find dozens of online casinos boasting the power of Realtime Gaming’s software engine, the company’s willingness to allow licensees to oversee their own regulation has led to the creation of a few unsavory entities.
Below you’ll find a list of major platforms which have preserved their status as legitimate operators. These online casinos are fully licensed by recognized offshore gaming oversight agencies, they willingly subject themselves to third party regulation, and players consistently report quality customer service, prompt payouts, and a strong sense of game integrity.
- Intertops Red Casino
- Manhattan Slots Casino
- Old Havana Casino
- Sloto’Cash Casino
- Slots Plus
- Sun Palace Casino
- Uptown Aces
- Vegas Casino Online
General Information about RTG
Rather than have our readers search across the internet for information about this gaming software provider, we conducted our own research. The most important company details are listed below:
- Currently owned by Hastings International, a company that maintains its corporate headquarters in Curacao.
- Founded in Atlanta, Georgia in 1998. Starting in 2007, all operations were moved to Heredia, Costa Rica (due to the passage of the UIGEA).
- RTG is known for taking a hands-off approach to their licensees. Therefore, if a casino is less-than-ethical or wants to operate in a country where online gambling is prohibited, Realtime Gaming allows it.
- In 2004, a controversy arose at the Hampton Casino over a potential $1.3 million payment on a game known as Caribbean 21. The cashout request was initially denied amidst allegations that a bot had been playing the game. Online users were outraged and demanded a resolution, although the full details of the settlement were never made public. Caribbean 21 has since been removed from the RTG catalog.
- In July of 2008, Crystal Palace group owner Warren Cloud was found dead on his yacht at the age of 34. Crystal Palace had been one of the largest users of Realtime software, although they were constantly plagued by complaints about slow-pays or no-pays. While nobody thought RTG had anything to do with the mysterious death, it only served to highlight the sometimes shady nature of casinos using their software.
- RTG enjoyed early success with their collection of Real Series Slots.
We would normally expect to find more information about an international company worth millions of dollars. While it is Realtime Gaming’s right to conceal their history and inner workings, it doesn’t exactly inspire us to go out and open an account with one of their clients.
Positive and Negatives of Realtime Gaming
If you are considering using a Realtime Gaming Online Casino, please consider the following pros and cons before making up your mind.
Realtime Gaming Pros
- Additional games are constantly added to their selection, providing players with a new experience during every session.
- Realtime Games are often celebrated for their generous bonus features.
- Their progressive jackpots are known to have a higher hit percentage than those of competing brands.
- Graphics and sound on slots and table games are crisp and vibrant.
- Numerous RTG casinos are willing to accept players from the United States.
- RTG is dedicated to customer security, and 128-bit encryption is standard for all deposits and cashouts.
Realtime Gaming Cons
- Their hands-off approach regarding the behavior of licensees has led to a number of customer complaints. In most cases, this involves a refusal to pay winnings. This has left RTG with a spotty reputation among a certain segment of online gamblers.
- The company is based in Costa Rica, where no gaming license is required to operate. As such, they aren’t subject to the annual testing and regulation like many of their competitors.
- RTG software allows each casino to set the individual payout levels for games. While most keep the number at a reasonable level to assure player retention, there’s nothing to stop an operator from dropping it to the lowest possible option.
- Their no-download Flash version has been criticized in the past for offering a gaming experience that’s far below the downloadable option. The graphics and audio aren’t as crisp, the selection of games is more limited, and the load times are slower. In fairness, though, this is often the case with online casinos.
- While competitors provide transparency with detailed websites, RTG only offers a single-page site without many details about the company.
Realtime Gaming is more than a simple software suite, and the company actually provides fully customizable online casino management.
You can find several dozen online casinos which act as licensees of Realtime Gaming, and these venues are typically referred to as RTG casinos. Unlike many of its main competitors, however, Realtime Gaming doesn’t attach strict performance standards to these licensees, instead allowing online casinos to operate their business without supervision or oversight.
Issues with Permissive Licenses
While this policy typically leads to the creation of highly customized platforms specializing in a specific service, like Slots Plus – a site devoted to offering a wide menu of virtual slot machine titles – so-called “rogue actors” have also exploited Realtime Gaming’s permissive attitude.
Online casinos with a history of unreliable customer service, infrequent or inefficient financial transactions or unverified game integrity should be avoided at all costs, so be sure to consult the list of verified, reputable Realtime Gaming casinos which can be found below.
Leading Slot Machines Provider
The bread and butter of Realtime Gaming’s menu is an industry-leading stable of unique online slot machines. Combining state of the art graphics, interactive features, and even pop culture themes, Realtime Gaming slots are designed under both the “Real Series” and “Random Jackpot” concepts.
Realtime Gaming slot machines are presented as either traditional slots or video reel slots in both the three reel and five reel variety, and most games are centered around the company’s now iconic mix of wild symbols, scatter symbols, free spin bonus rounds, multipliers, and other interactive features. You’ll even be able to enjoy the allure of massive progressive jackpots on games like Aztec’s Millions and Jackpot Piñatas. The Random Jackpot games award players preset jackpot amounts no matter the size of their wager, instilling a sense of spontaneity and anticipation to the usual slot grind.
When it comes to table games, the foundation of most online casinos, Realtime Gaming lags a bit behind major competitors like Microgaming and NetEnt. As you’ll find in the products section, the company’s commitment to providing a full gaming experience seems to be focused more on slot machines.
Quality Gaming Casino Software
Players enjoy RTG casinos because the powerful software is consistently capable of delivering a high-quality experience. This means card and chip animations are always fluid, lobby and in-game interfaces are intuitive and efficiently managed, and audio delivery for sound effects and music comes through clearly. The overall reputation enjoyed by Realtime Gaming is tied directly to this pride in presentation, as players tend to appreciate the modernized look and feel of RTG casinos.
Due to the company’s policy of allowing online casino licensees full leeway in their own management, Realtime casinos are widely known for generous bonus programs and other promotions designed to reward new players and regulars with free funds. Players can usually locate no-deposit bonuses upon registering for the first time, along with deposit match bonuses which essentially double your initial bankroll.
Preferred Gaming Platform
Realtime Online casinos are accessed either through downloadable clients or Flash-based browser versions. Of course, every venue has tinkered with the basic software configurations to create their own brand, so the functionality you’ll find for either version of the software will definitely vary from site to site.
Players who prefer in browser gaming can access Realtime Gaming platforms through Windows, Mac, or Linux, and mobile users have the iOS, Android, Blackberry, and Windows mobile operating systems at their disposal.
Realtime Casino Games
Online casinos running Realtime Gaming software invariably host hundreds of individual games. Because each venue is capable of customizing the software suite to their desired specifications, exact game menus vary between online casinos, but the vast majority contain a similar package.
Below you’ll find a list of standard Realtime casino games broken down into base game groups, along with commonly encountered variations. Whenever possible, relevant information on number of decks used, pay tables, house edge, and standard rules is provided in parentheses next to each entry.
- Banker bet = 1.06 percent
- Player bet = 1.24 percent
- Tie bet = 4.93 percent
- Roaring Twenties Bingo
- Bonus Bingo
- European BJ (Six decks w surrender; 0.54 percent – Six decks no surrender; 0.63 percent)
- Face Up 21 (0.85 percent)
- Match Play 21 (Six decks; 0.81 percent)
- Perfect Pairs (Eight decks; 4.10 percent – Six decks; 6.11 percent – Four decks; 10.14 percent)
- Pontoon (0.38 percent)
- Super 21 (Eight decks; 1.42 percent)
100 / 20 / 10 / 3 / 2; 2.16 percent
One deck; 2.42 percent
Standard odds for craps
1 15 numbers; best house edge is 13.25 percent on 11 number; worst is 25 percent on 1 number
Two decks; 3.08 percent
- American Roulette (5.26 percent on all bets; 7.89 percent for five number bet)
- New American Roulette (5.26 percent on all bets; 7.89 percent for five number bet)
- European Roulette (2.78 percent)
- French Roulette (1.35 percent on even money bets; 2.78 percent on all other bets)
- Diamond Blackjack
- Hot Dice
- Lucky 8’s
2.78 percent on basic Small and Large bets
1 4 6 30 40; 2.32 percent & 1 4 6 25 40; 3.49 percent
Ante bet = 3.23 percent; Bonus bet = 3.54 percent
- Aces and Eights (8 5 4 3 2 1; 99.78 percent)
- All American (35 8 8 8 3 1 1; 98.63 percent)
- Bonus Deuces Wild (9 4 4 3 3 1; 99.45 percent)
- Bonus Poker Deluxe (50 80 8 6 4; 98.49 percent)
- Deuces Wild (25 15 9 4 4 3 2 1; 98.91 percent)
- Double Bonus (45 10 7 5 3 1 1; 99.37 percent)
- Double Double Bonus (400 50 9 6; 98.98 percent)
- Double Jackpot (160 80 80 40 20 8 5 4 3 2 1; 99.63 percent)
- Double Double Jackpot (160 160 160 80 50 9 6 5 3 1 1; 99.36 percent)
- European Slot Poker (Unknown)
- Jacks or Better (9 6; 99.54 percent)
- Jacks or Better 10 Play (8 5; 97.29)
- Jacks or Better 52 Play (8 5; 97.29)
- Jacks or Better 100 Play (8 5; 97.29)
- Joker Poker (150 80 50 20 6 5 3 2 1 1; 98.51 percent)
- Loose Deuces (25 15 5 4 3 2 2 1; 99.07 percent)
- Mystery Bonus (Unknown)
- Pick’em Poker (239.8 100 18 15 11 5 3 2; 99.11 percent)
- Sevens Wild (25 15 10 5 3 2 2 1; 99.16 percent)
For each and every one of the games listed above, please take care to thoroughly read the Rules and How to Play sections published by your preferred online casino. Even though different venues utilize Realtime Gaming software, each online casino is capable of customizing their in-game configurations, so factors like the amount of decks or the pay table in use can vary from site to site.
Part of Realtime Gaming’s status as an industry leader stems from the company’s willingness to allow individual operators a wide degree of managerial discretion, and the result is a diverse stable of online casinos serving as licensees. By sticking to venues that have taken care to foster a strong reputation within the player community, you can enjoy Realtime Gaming’s cutting edge online casino management software without reservation.
To learn about other companies in the industry, you can browse our online casino software companies page.